Aligned leadership development with succession management initiatives for a Department of the U.S. Government, resulting in a 4.6 out of 5 course satisfaction rating.
"The facilitator took the material from the book and turned it into live engagement and discussion. He provided examples and gave the cohort opportunities to reflect, disagree, and sort out our views on the topics presented."
Pathways to Leadership Participant
A Department of the U.S. Government came to KPC looking to enhance its leadership bench strength by developing a department of leaders, both in the department’s supervisory and nonsupervisory roles, through effective leadership training. The department also wanted to align these leadership development goals with its succession management initiatives to increase its ability to grow and shift efficiently to changing workplace demands.
- Develop a department of leaders
- Align leadership development with succession management initiatives
- Improve department ability to adapt to changing workplace demands
To meet the department’s need for improved leadership from the ground up, KPC developed a training program that would incorporate a mix of team training and personalized leadership coaching. In order to create a leadership mindset among personnel in both supervisory and nonsupervisory roles, the KPC team’s approach focused on developing a renewed sense of purpose within each individual employee that would reinforce their personal commitment to public service. KPC accomplished this through a year-long program. It included a series of two separate, one-week leadership development workshops. These workshops were enhanced with three webinars, 10 hours of personalized leadership coaching per participant, and personality and leadership assessment administration and interpretation (the MBTI, EQ-i, and CLI).
- Two separate, one-week leadership development workshops
- 10 personalized leadership coaching hours per participant
- Personality and leadership assessment administration and interpretation (the MBTI, EQ-i, and CLI)
- Three webinars on emerging topics
By reinforcing each individual’s sense of purpose and commitment to public service, KPC delivered an engaging training program that shaped a department-wide leadership mindset. At the program’s conclusion, individuals shifted from being uncertain of their purpose within the department to discovering that they could behave and project themselves as leaders without having to be supervisors. This created a renewed sense of personal investment in carrying out departmental initiatives. Survey results revealed that participants rated the program as having high job relevance, applicability and a high rate of return on time invested. Participants rated “Relevance to the Job” as 4.8 out of 5 and “Return on Time Invested” as 4.6 out of 5.
- 4.6 out of 5 participant rating for the return on time invested
- 4.8 out of 5 participant rating for course relevancy and job applicability
- 4.6 out of 5 course satisfaction rating
- Renewed sense of personal investment in carrying out department initiatives